We are writing to provide you with up to date information in relation to the Government of Canada’s response to COVID-19 which may impact you, your family members or your employees:
1. Effective Wednesday, March 18, 2020, the Canadian border will be closed to all individuals with the exception of: CANADIAN CITIZENS, PERMANENT RESIDENTS OF CANADA, U.S. CITIZENS, AIR CREWS, DIPLOMATS, and IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBERS OF CANADIAN CITIZENS;
2. All passengers (including Canadian citizens and permanent residents) boarding international flights to Canada will be screened for COVID-19 and will not be allowed to board if they show symptoms of the virus;
3. All international flights will be directed to Toronto, Montreal, Calgary or Vancouver;
4. Domestic flights and flights originating from Mexico, the U.S. and the Caribbean are exempt from the international flight restriction;
5. Self-isolation for a 14 day period is required for all individuals (including Canadian citizens and permanent residents) returning to Canada from any location;
6. The border restrictions do not apply to commerce and trade;
7. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada continues to accept applications for both temporary and permanent residence;
8. At this point, we do not recommend that any foreign worker currently in Canada leave the country because it is unclear when they will be able to return;
9. Similarly, any foreign workers who are not currently in Canada should attempt to make arrangements to return to Canada before the border closes on March 18, 2020.
During this unusual time, Morrison Brown Sosnovitch LLP is pleased to be able to support and assist you with your employment and immigration needs. Please feel free to contact Emily Lukaweski at 416-360-0600 or email@example.com if you require further information, or if you would like us to review your foreign worker employee files to ensure those who require new work permits or extensions obtain them in a timely manner.
© Morrison Brown Sosnovitch LLP, 2020. All rights reserved.